Monday, June 13

Saludos a todos!! I'M HERE! The MTC is a very interesting place, to say the least. The first day, my dear friends Rachel, Megan, Brett and Cory accompanied me and my luggage up the hill to the MTC. From there, some host elders delivered me into the hands of a host sister who took me to my room. Afterwards, I went through some orientation business and finally arrived in my classroom. My district is really quite wonderful. There are 14 of us. 7 pairs of elders and 2 pairs of sisters. I am one of three white people. The missionaries in my district are headed to Chile, Spain, Honduras, Arizona, and Boston. My companion, Hma. Rivera, is going to Houston. Hma. Rivera is a really great companion. She's already been to school and graduated and held a real grown-up job. She had been wanting to go on a mission for the last 4 years but had a previous obligation. Spanish was her first language so she's ayudando a little Sammy mucho. We share a room with 3 girls from the intermediate Spanish class, all going to Dallas. 
 
The first few days here have been intense to say the least. I feel like every day is 5 days. I've already forgotten about my life before this it seems or that there was an outside world. Also, my way with words has diminished as Spanish and English are participating in a vicious battle in my little cabeza. Sorry if my spelling/sentence structure is wacky. I can't help it. However, Spanish will eventually prevail. Especially now that one of our teachers has limited our English use to 50 words a day. Hahahaha, no big, right?
 
I have been noticing some "miraculous" things happening. First,I can wake up at 5:30 and have energy until that night. If you're wondering, my comp. and I get up at that time to attend these exercise classes that are just for the sisters. Besides having all day energy, I've found myself actually wanting to study! We've been studying about the doctrine of Christ. I love learning the plain and simple truths that have such a meaningful impact. It's way better than all that superfluous stuff I feel like I have to hear about when I go to church. Heh. I finally feel like I'm doing something that really matters.
 
Also this week, we started learning about how to invite people to be baptized. I've been really frustrated with how haltingly I speak Spanish but my comp. reminded me that it's not the language you use but the power of the Spirit behind what you're saying. It's really helped me focus on following the Spirit instead of getting the right conjugations.
 
Alas, my time is running out. I hope everyone's lives are going swimmingly and everyone is enjoying the festivities of summer. If ye love me, write to me. You can email me and then I'll send you a letter or something. Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment